Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Redemption - film about the story of John Baptiste

So a while back when I was studying Fremont Island, I came across this story about a grave robber who was sent to Fremont Island as a prison.  Here's another version of the story with more details (and sources). And this version which is the most detailed I've found so far, which includes alot of background on Baptiste.

When I spent the night on Fremont Island, I thought about this man.  I don't have the full story, but based on the only information available which may be more fiction that fact, it seems the punishment was far more harsh than the crime.

Don't get me wrong.  I love Fremont Island.  At first the environment seemed so harsh, and so unnatural to this world.  I mean the fact that I didn't see a single tree on the island and that it was literally covered in huge orb-weaver spiders gave me the willies.  However, if I had enough money to buy the island from the owners, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  There is a fantastic mystery and romance about the island that interests me greatly.

Today I just found out that an LDS filmmaker has actually put this story to film and it is going to be shown at a film festival this week!  I just bought four tickets to see it this Saturday evening.  I am so excited!  Having swam to Fremont Island and spending the night there for one night, I feel an indescribable bond that makes me fanatical about the island.

No comments: