Sunday, November 1, 2009

Finishing the Chicken coop


We built the coop earlier this summer, but since it's been getting so cold decided to finish the coop with a nice nesting box to provide some much needed protection from the cold. It is basically a 4 ft by 2 ft box that is fully insulated with 6 inches of fiberglass insulation inside a bigger box. It is built of wood with shingles completely covering the outside of the box. It is just outside the coop with a hole where the door is.

Jacob, Cathi and I spent about 10 hours total building this. We got our first egg out of it. The chickens are laying about 3 eggs a day now. So we shouldn't need to go buy eggs again. In fact we might need to start giving them away.

I skipped a couple of swim sessions to get this project over with so I hope the chickens appreciate the sacrifice not to mention that the material cost about $200. Not cheap. We should break even with the money we're saving on eggs in, oh about 10 years. I'll feel better about sleeping in my warm bed, when the chickens have this nesting box that should keep them plenty warm in the winter with two heat lamps out there and tons of straw for covers. I'm just glad I don't have any roosters.

No comments: